Yo! A new gender-neutral pronoun from, of all places, Baltimore

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Wed Jan 9 05:44:19 UTC 2008

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

Yo! A new gender-neutral pronoun from, of all places, Baltimore

Yo, a new gender-neutral pronoun, has been popping up in an unlikely
spot, the hallways of a few Baltimore schools. Or maybe Maryland
middle schools aren’t such unlikely incubators of new words after
all, since they’re full of teen-agers whose linguistic inventiveness
hasn’t yet been beaten out of them by grammar lessons and
standardized tests, teenagers who love to play with language and coin
ever-newer words just to prove to adults that we’re never going to
get it, never in a million years will be as cool as they are now.
(What they don’t know is that we invented cool, or our parents did,
but hey, whatever.)

The story of yo is pretty cool, though. Baltimore teachers taking a
linguistics class reported that some of their students seemed to be
using “yo” spontaneously as a gender-neutral pronoun, one that refers
both to males and females. So they decided to investigate the
phenomenon. It turns out that, so far as the kids are concerned, “yo”
is either something you use, or something you’re totally ignorant
about. Same goes for the teachers: either they hear some of their
students saying “yo” instead of “he” or “she,” or they’ve never heard
the term at all. It’s like yo-users inhabit a parallel universe, one
with its own language.

read my prediction for the fate of "yo" and the rest of this post on

the Web of Language

www.uiuc.edu/goto/weboflanguage

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics