Jagwire

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 9 21:23:04 UTC 2008

FWIW, "jagwire" has been the "standard" BE pronunciation for the name
of the animal among all non-pedantic speakers [*I* have always used
"jagwar," but my friends considered that to be merely a personal
affectation or some kind of phony spelling pronunciation or some such
and ignored it) since at least the late 'Thirties. When the name of
the automobile became known among middle-class blacks, the
pronunciation remained "Jagwire."

-Wilson

On Jan 8, 2008 8:18 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Jagwire
>
> At 12:11 PM -0500 1/8/08, Laurence Horn wrote:
> >At 10:43 AM -0600 1/8/08, Philip (Flip) Kromer wrote:
> >>Tony Kornheiser (Pardon the Interruption, Monday Night Football,
> >>ex-washpost) says 'Jagwire' or very close to it.
> >
> >Are you sure he's not doing it self-consciously, with invisible
> >quotes?  I've heard Tom Jackson (of ESPN) refer to the Jacksonville
> >team as the Jagwires, and probably other commentators, but I suspect
> >if Kornheiser does it he's not being authentic.  (He often isn't.)
> >He is indeed from Long Island, where I certainly never heard
> >"Jagwire".  (In those days, it would have been in reference to the
> >car or possibly the cat; the team hadn't been invented yet.)
> >
> >LH
>
> A bit of support for this position:  at 5:45 or so tonight (EST),
> Tony Kornheiser was discussing the upcoming Jaguars-Patriots playoff
> game on PTI and referred to the Jacksonville team by nickname four
> times, pronouncing it as "the ['Jaegwarz]" (sans diphthong) each time.
>
> LH
>

> >>  You can download the
> >>podcast version of PTI from iTunes; I know I heard him do it repeatedly last
> >>week, but don't recall which one. I'm sure you'll find multiple uses these
> >>past and next few weeks.
> >>
> >>He's not undereducated, and is Long Island, I think.
> >>
> >>flip

> >>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens