Fwd: Sporting Life progress?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Jan 10 01:53:25 UTC 2008

Barry sent the message below to a few ads-l members, and I now forward it to the whole list.  Btw, any treatment of "fan" will have to take into account the detailed work on this term by SABR (Society of American Baseball Research) expert Peter Morris.  His work on the term won an award at one of the SABR meetings, but I believe it's available only somewhere out in cyberspace and hasn't yet been officially published.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: Bapopik at aol.com [mailto:Bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Wed 1/9/2008 2:04 PM
Subject: Fwd: Sporting Life progress?

Good news--this project will be partly online by the end of March. The Sporting Life had excellent coverage of baseball. Most important is the origin of the baseball "fan."
"Jazz" occurred in many baseball stories--beginning with the "jazz curve" in 1912--and I wouldn't be surprised if our next breakthrough comes in Sporting Life.
Baseball team names should also be here. I'll be looking for the New York "Giants" and the New York "Yankees" and the Brooklyn "(Trolley) Dodgers" and the Chicago "Cubs," among others.
Barry Popik
(working on the BBQ term "Texas crutch," (snip>)