Jagwire

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 10 13:58:55 UTC 2008

Britons usually say "Jag-u-ar."  They also say "Antig-u-a" and "Nicarag-u-a."

  The "Jag-u-ar" pronouncer in a TV commercial aimed at Americans was undoubtedly hired to enhance the car's snob appeal.

  Old saying: "Everything sounds snootier with an English accent."

  Well, some English accents.

  JL

Susan Rosine <basenjiluvr at MSN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Susan Rosine
Subject: Re: Jagwire

I've only heard "Jag-wire" my entire life. Born in Colorado, raised in Wash=
ington state, now back in Colorado. Mother from Alabama, Father from Indian=
a. I did once, not too long ago, hear a commercial for the car, and they p=
ronounced it Jag-You-Are. I noticed the commercial didn't run very long.=20
SusanOn Jan 8, 2008 6:34 AM, Sam Clements wrote:> >>=
> Subject: Jagwire> >>> Of course I'm talking about Jaguar.> >>>> >>=
> Since I'm not a linguist, is there an explanation for the =3D> >>> misp=
ronunciation of the word? I never encountered it until I worked =3D> >>> =
with some people in Middle Ohio, who also happen to be undereducated(and =
=3D> >>> coincidentally from Southern Ohio/Western Pennsylvania). Or am I=
=3D> >>> reading too much into their family backgrounds?> >>>> >>> Anywa=
y, is this something as simple as saying "warsh" for wash, "tarred" =3D> >>=
=