Jagwire

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Jan 11 11:07:12 UTC 2008

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> <pre wrap>Britons usually say "Jag-u-ar."  They also say "Antig-u-a"
> and "Nicarag-u-a."
>
>   The "Jag-u-ar" pronouncer in a TV commercial aimed at Americans was
> undoubtedly hired to enhance the car's snob appeal.
>
>   Old saying: "Everything sounds snootier with an English accent."
>
>   Well, some English accents.
>
>   JL

Canadians also add 'biling-you-alism'.  I am part of a small research
group of linguists here at Wayne looking at bilingual first language
acquisition, but we can't seem to agree on how to pronounce the name of
our major topic (one Spaniard, one Canadian and me).

Geoff

Geoff Nathan
Wayne State University
geoffnathan at wayne.edu