(no subject)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat Jan 12 15:43:04 UTC 2008

"Danger close" is used in very specific circumstances. It's a term used when
calling for artillery or air support and notes that friendly forces are
close to the target. Danger close missions are high-priority and very tricky
to pull off.

My guess about the origin, and it's only a guess, is that it is a
deliberately constructed radio procedure phrase. RT procedure routinely
clips phrases down to the bare essentials--especially the procedures for
calling for fire, which are very structured and exact. And in this case the
"danger" is placed first because it is attention-grabbing.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Paul
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 8:08 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: (no subject)

On the H-war List I have seen a question regarding the military phrase
"Danger Close"  is there a name for convoluted phrases like this or
"Date Certain"?   "Close to danger" and "a certain date" seem, to my
ears, both clearer in meaning and more pleasing to the ear.

Is there a name for these jargonesque phrases?

Paul johnson

--
I was cut out to be rich, but I was sewn up all wrong!