rushing up, passing down

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 15 01:09:27 UTC 2008

At 4:18 PM -0600 1/14/08, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>  >Is the distinction between "rushing up the middle" and "passing down
>the middle" one that is actually in use among commentators or
>spectators?
>
>That's a tough one. I think I would most likely say "up" with rushing, but I
>think I would say either "up" or "down" with passing. That's just me. Not
>sure what most commentators say.
>
>Scot

Ditto on all counts, except that "down" is more likely with passing
if the sense is a long pass.  Cf. also "penalty flag downfield" on a
long pass play, or a receiver who's adept at his downfield blocking
(never, or hardly ever, "upfield").  Googling "downfield passing
game" returns 5260 hits, vs. just 1 of "upfield passing game".
There's also running downhill, which is easier than running uphill
(in football as well as real life).

LH