Don't let's

Tue Jan 15 22:42:29 UTC 2008

It sounds natural to me (an Iowan) -- introspective data can be deceptive, especially about what one has not heard. This would be easily checked in the usual online corpuses (sic). Don't let's rush to judgment.

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>

Date:         Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:18:24
To:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Don't let's

Since I'm the only one so far who has said this is ungrammatical,
perhaps I should provide more detail.

I think I'm the only one of the people responding who is from the West
Coast. AFAIK, I have heard this construction only two or three times in
my life, about thirty years ago. I think the main person I heard it from
was a child of Great Depression Alaska homesteaders.

I would therefore understand this to be a regional variation, but would
never generate this sentence and consider it to break MY rules of
grammar. BB