the big pumpernickel

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Jan 16 01:55:35 UTC 2008

>I bet it's a nonce usage influenced by Wengen being in the
>German-speaking section of Switzerland. If they really had wanted
>local color, they would have worked "roesti" into it.

Well, now, that's a thought. It would be nice to think that
broadcaster has that level of awareness, even (he hadn't made other
such allusions that I had noticed, but it's still possible). I shall
watch for any further evidence. He's generally the one who can
mispronounce just about any name until his co-host says it right (or
closer to right) once.

James Harbeck.