Don't let's

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 16 18:27:46 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 12:10 PM, Geraldine Hizer <Urqu at aol.com> wrote:

> Should add to my 'echo' - am from MO, by way of central IL.
> GH

Ahhh... Since you didn't include his response (below) in yours, and you
didn't reply in thread (your subject line was "Re: ADS-L Digest - 14 Jan
2008 to 15 Jan 2008 (#2008-16)"), and you didn't connect your geographical
background with your "echo", I'll bring them together in-thread... tying up
the loose ends, as it were.

from    Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>
> date    Jan 15, 2008 5:18 PM
> subject    Re: Don't let's
> mailed-by    listserv.uga.edu

Since I'm the only one so far who has said this is ungrammatical,
> perhaps I should provide more detail.
>
> I think I'm the only one of the people responding who is from the West
> Coast. AFAIK, I have heard this construction only two or three times in
> my life, about thirty years ago. I think the main person I heard it from
> was a child of Great Depression Alaska homesteaders.
>
> I would therefore understand this to be a regional variation, but would
> never generate this sentence and consider it to break MY rules of
> grammar. BB

m a m