Don't let's

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed Jan 16 21:19:05 UTC 2008

[Finally united with a mac of my own & a reasonably serviceable mail
program, I can begin to enjoy again the entertainments of ADS-L.]

While "don't let's" is grammatical, probably most of us say "let's not" in
its place.  They aren't quite equivalent, IMO, in that "do not let us"
appears to be outwardly addressed, while "let us not" is reflexive.  Perhaps
this is why BB isn't quite comfortable with it. The former has a kind of
archaic quality (cf., eg., "lead us not into temptation") & as such shares
the liability to be pushed to the sidelines & denigrated, like "ain't."
Just my speculation.
AM

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger & are
not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."  --Dwight Eisenhower

<sagehen at westelcom.com>