Don't let's

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 16 23:49:07 UTC 2008

At 2:33 PM -0800 1/16/08, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>As far as I can tell, it seems to be akin to doubling up modals, similar
>to saying "I must should". (I know people use that in some dialects, but
>it is still seems ungrammatical for me.) BB

Well, it might be, but there's no correlation in terms of who finds
these grammatical.  (I don't speak double-modal natively, but I might
could learn.)  I'm still not sure (maybe this is what Ron was getting
at) that it makes sense to describe a construction that's widely
attested and that many speakers are comfortable with as
"ungrammatical" tout court, as opposed to "ungrammatical for me".
Maybe this is a tempest in a teapot, but while I'm already somewhat
uncomfortable with the use of "ungrammatical" for forms that are
dialectally restricted, I guess I'm especially sensitive to it when
it's my own dialect which is so characterized!  Don't let's quarrel
about terminology...

LH