Don't let's

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Jan 17 15:34:43 UTC 2008

On 16 Jan 2008, at 21:22, James Harbeck wrote:

> I first saw "don't let's" in an Asterix comic when I was a kid.

Ah, but was this a British or American translation (I believe both
exist)? The difference is subtle, but jokes on "bangers" (for
sausages and someone slamming a door) and greetings like "wotcher"
clearly point to the former for specific versions.

I collect Asterix and I don't remember seeing "don't let's", but that
certainly doesn't mean it wasn't there, just that it didn't seems as
strange to me as other Britishisms.

Barbara
(late 40s, TN (3mos), OH, MA, PA, WI, IL, SD

Barbara Need
UChicago