Don't let's

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Jan 17 16:51:09 UTC 2008

I consider _don't let's_ marked. (In Jim McCwaley's notation,
somewhere between pretty bad and pretty good.) I suspect I would not
use it, but I have no trouble interpreting it (= 'let's not). Whether
it is a Britishism or not, I am not a good judge of these things: I
read a lot of British fiction and watch Monty Python and Dr Who and
have gotten used to hearing those varieties. I also have been told I
can sound British at times.

Barbara