Shank's mare

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 17 23:15:47 UTC 2008

It occurs more recently (1874-77) in the US, with the pleonastic d.o. "it":
So, rolling my grub in my blanketI left all my tools on the groundI started
one morning to shank itFor the country they call Puget Sound.The Old
Settler's Song, or Acres of
Clams.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Settler%27s_Song_%28Acres_of_Clams%29>
See also on Mudcat Cafe<http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=3507#815633>

Mark Mandel