Procedural criteria

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Jan 18 02:59:38 UTC 2008

>Perhaps it's because I used to work in music, but "new age" means a
>musical genre to me first, and it's not a pejorative term.

My fault. I was focusing on those areas where it's used negatively,
i.e., the possible senses it could have in the context quoted, but I
neglected to say so. I agree that "new age" also is used on positive
sense by those interested in new age spirituality or new age music.
But when someone is using it as a description of something they are
decrying, I expect it to be a reactionary kicking a pseudo-lefty
straw man. Evidently is has broader use as a term of abuse than I
knew.

James Harbeck.