New movie

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 19 20:28:02 UTC 2008

I've never heard "jump ugly," but that could be due to the fact that,
having reached an advanced state of maturity, I no longer hang out on
much corner and, therefore, have far less knowledge of what up than I
had in my younger days. However, IM perhaps obsolescent O, they all
should mean the same: "become (unexpectedly) insulting," as opposed to
"jump salty," meaning "become (unexpectedly) angry." Though, if
someone told me that "jump ugly" actually meant the same as "jump
salty," I'd certainly be more than willing to sit corrected.

-Wilson

On Jan 19, 2008 11:24 AM, William Salmon <william.salmon at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       William Salmon <william.salmon at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: New movie
>
> Is 'breaking bad' or 'breaking nasty' sorta like 'jumping ugly'?
>

> > Wilson, HDAS has "break bad" from 1972 with the definition, "[of
> > persons] to become aggressive or angry." (After fifteen years, this
> > def. now seems a bit bland to me. Maybe it needs an adverb like
> > "extremely" and the addition of "unruly, disorderly, etc.")  Correct
> > me if I'm wrong.
> >
> >  To "break" can also mean "(of circumstances) to go or become," thus
> > "break bad" can also mean "to go wrong, become difficult, dangerous,
> > etc."  But that would be less usual, I think.
> >
> >  "Break nasty" seems to partake of both nuances. You'll be amazed
> > when I say I 've never encountered it before.
> >
> >  JL
> >

> > Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >  ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> > -----------------------
> > Sender: American Dialect Society
> > Poster: Wilson Gray
> > Subject: New movie
> >
> > Jon, have you noticed the ads for the new movie titled, "Breaking
> > Bad"? My intuition is that the desire for alliteration dissuaded the
> > producers from the use of the cooler and the goner, "Breaking Nasty."
> > ;-)
> >
> > -Wilson
> > --
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -----
> > -Sam'l Clemens

> > Never miss a thing.   Make Yahoo your homepage.

> ~Will Salmon

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens