the spread of adjective-licensed "of"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 21 15:47:50 UTC 2008

I think I just heard -- but my ears are not the best -- a newscaster
on NECN (New England Cable News) say "How big of a is it?"  She had
just been speaking of the recent tiff between Clinton and Obama over
statements about race.

I wonder if she caught herself about to say "How big of a dispute is
it?", and tried to change to "How big is it?"

Joel