English words beginning with <j> pronounced [Z]?

Mon Jan 21 19:24:13 UTC 2008

I was surprised to learn that people use the "zh" pronunciation for
"jinrikisha", but sure enough, Merriam-Webster uses that pronunciation:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?jinrik01.wav=jinrikisha

I think you've found the only word. I think the historical explanation
is that the "zh" sound entered English from French after the Norman
Invasion, but was changed to "j" at the beginning of all words.

BTW, Your Dictionary (http://www.yourdictionary.com/jinrikisha) has the
pronunciation spelled as a "j", which is my pronunciation, though I
can't hear the audio for some reason, so I'm not sure how they intend
the pronunciation to be.

HTH
Benjamin Barrett
a cyberbreath for language life