English words beginning with <j> pronounced [Z]?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 22 04:36:52 UTC 2008

At 4:20 AM +0000 1/22/08, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>Borrowed French words like genre ~zhaanru, (where ~aa sounds like
>"ah" and ~u like "uh".)  Also Jacques, ~zhaaks.

Seems like if someone is going to bother with the /Z/ for "Jacques",
they'll go the whole hog:  /Zak/, not /Zaks/.  (For Shakespeare, I
believe it was anglicized to something like /Jakwiz/.) And the riddle
posed by Nadia Gabriel below originally specified an initial <j>, not
<g>, FWIW.

LH