English words beginning with <j> pronounced [Z]?

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Jan 22 16:37:38 UTC 2008

LH,

Please don't. At the LSA socio symposium I introduced her as Jeanette
gun-DELL, only to have Gillian Sankoff begin their joint presentation
with a correction of my pronunciation (and I knew better).

Jeanette's correcting my pronunciation goes way back. When I was a
visiting professor at Hawai'i in 1980 I gave a talk in which I very
badly stressed anaphora (anaPHORa) - and I didn't know better.
Jeanette was there, let me now about it, and has never let me forget
this.

dInIs

preston at msu.edu