Terms for familys; was Re: Heard on The Judges

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Jan 27 16:49:18 UTC 2008

My cousin's widow (Lafayette, Indiana, born early 1900s, now
deceased) would use first name in the plural to refer to a family:
e.g., Dons or Carols, meaning Don and his family or Carol and her
family. I think I have heard others in that family group use it as
well, but I won't swear to it. (I suppose it could formally be a
genitive, but I processed it as a plural--and I didn't like to noodge
kinfolks about language quirks--they thought I was weird enough!)

Barbara