Delta airline's guaranteed lowest fare?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 29 02:37:23 UTC 2008

What the d---l does this mean?  From an ad in today's New York Times
(last page of section A, New England Edition):

"Visit delta.com to book the lowest fare guaranteed or your money back.*

"* The lowest fare is the lowest Delta fare for the requested
itinerary and travel dates on delta.com at the time of inquiry.
Restrictions apply to the refund offer. Visit delta.com for details."

Is this really the nonsense that if you go to delta.com and it tells
you what is the lowest fare Delta has available at that instant, if
you book that fare you will get it?  That's surely the minimum level
of service I'd expect.  The first sentence above seems intended to
lead one down the garden path of assuming the Delta's fares will be
low *compared to other airlines*.

Or does it simply mean that as compared to telephoning a Delta ticket
agent, or using a travel agent, the delta.com fare will be no
higher?  I would think if they meant that, they could have said it.

Joel