Heard on The Judges

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 29 15:03:49 UTC 2008

Judge Greg:

"What is your counter-suit for harassment for?"

Defendant (thirty-ish black woman from Detroit):

"For _'nim_ ridin' up an' down the street honkin' they horn an'
knockin' on my neighbor door lookin' for me."

>From context, it was so clear that defendant had in mind:

"For _[plaintiff] and them_ riding up and down the street honking
their horn and knocking on my neighbors' doors looking for me"

that she felt free to delete _the plaintiff_ and speak only "and them"
> "'nim." She could also have said _[plaintiff]_, but that would have
obscured the defendant's point that she had had to deal not only with
plaintiff, but with plaintiff *and plaintiff's closest friends,*
thereby harassing defendant by causing her to fear for her safety,
even in her own house.

An obvious and expected development, I reckon.

-Wilson
-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens