Q: "David's ruffians" and "Our tongues are our own, who shall control us?"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 29 18:17:47 UTC 2008

I've uncovered the explanation of the "Our tongues" part.

Having by chance entered into Google the search term just "Our
tongues are our own, who shall" (that is, leaving out "control us"!),
I found that it comes from Psalm 12, verse 4.  Although I can't
figure out who "we" is -- those who speak falsehoods, or the godly --
I would infer that Josselyn is using the passage to justify his
freedom to write as he wishes.

That leaves me with these questions:  where is the origin of "David's
ruffians", why did Josselyn and Hall juxtapose it with "Our tongues",
and whether there is an earlier source for the juxtaposition.

Joel