Prescriptive Linguists

Tue Jan 29 18:47:10 UTC 2008

My Spanish is a bit weak, but shouldn't that be, 'El que te vio las manos"?

Doesn't "El que le vio las
manos" mean '... looked at his hands'?

Just wondering.

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:48:25
To:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Prescriptive Linguists

At 12:18 PM -0500 1/29/08, Michael H Covarrubias wrote:
>Just this last weekend I overheard my father and mother (both L1 Spanish
>speakers but fluent in English) discussing a certain doctor. My mother didn't
>know which doctor my father was talking about. He said to her "He's
>the one that
>saw you your hands."
>
>My English ears didn't like it but of course in Spanish 'El que le vio las
>manos" and it makes perfect sense.
>
>And it's sounding better and better to my English ears now.
>
>Michael

Seems like a compromise (a.k.a. Spanglish), since the literal would
be more like "He's the one that saw you the hands."  But the result
in either case, as with the Kentuckian/Texan sentence involviing Mary
below, is to extend the realm of non-argument datives in English, as
earlier espied in the threads relating to the personal dative ("You
need you a new muffler", "My husband loved him some Jack Daniels"),
as heard in Kentucky, Texas, and elsewhere.

LH