"Billy Ned"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 30 01:13:35 UTC 2008

My guess is 'hurts like the devil'. It brings to mind

   - Old Ned = the devil
   - an expression from CS Lewis's *The Voyage of the Dawn Treader*,
   spoken by one of the children (Edmund?): [pulling off a scab] "hurts like
   billy-oh". The children often use what I've always taken to be English
   public-school slang from Lewis's day.

--
Mark Mandel