"to boldly go"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 30 16:22:08 UTC 2008

At 9:00 AM -0500 1/30/08, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 1/29/2008 11:01 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>or of
>>accepting a mission to boldly go where no (hu)man has gone before...
>

>Isn't the newer, PC motto not "human" but "where no-one has gone before"?

Maybe so, but I'd think with a loss of accuracy, since if for example
a Klingon had ventured into some distant corner of the universe to
plunder, pillage, or whatever, that would satisfy the "no man/person
has gone before" clause but not the "no one has gone before" version.
The "no one" is a stronger claim than the original, as well as a more
sex-neutrally expressed one.

LH