Classless

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 31 01:28:36 UTC 2008

At 3:21 PM -0800 1/30/08, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>HDAS has "no-class," adj., back to 1965, but there's a slightly less
>definitive ex. as long ago as 1897.

A relative occurs in that OED 5b entry I mentioned earlier:

1874 HOTTEN Slang Dict., Class, the highest quality or combination of
highest qualities among athletes. 'He's not class enough', i.e., not
good enough. 'There's a deal of class about him', i.e., a deal of
quality.

They have an 1897 "no class" that may be the same as yours, but it's
predicative rather than attributive:
1897 Daily Tel. June (Ware), Soldiers! Why, soldiers ain't no class.

And as mentioned, nothing for "classless".

LH