Classless

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Thu Jan 31 04:56:13 UTC 2008

One can assume, I assume, that the cited U wasn't Harvard, since "common"
there has an altogether different meaning.
(the other) doug
FWIW, I recall seeing a cartoon in a student newspaper -- ten years
ago? twenty? can't remember which university it was -- that showed
assorted slovenly miscreants scuffing about and spitting on the
sidewalk and so on, and it was captioned "classless soclety" -- and
it worked because the readers understood that "classless" was often
used to mean "lacking in 'class,'" i.e., what the U call "common." So
this usage has been around for a bit.

James Harbeck.