baby bump [was: conceptionmoon]

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Thu Jan 31 18:57:47 UTC 2008

'Baby bump' was the BrE-to-AmE Word of the Year on my blog just a few weeks
ago:

<http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2008/01/2007s-words-of-year.html>

(Complete with an illustration of mine from a couple of months ago...)

Lynne

--On Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:57 pm -0500 "Joel S. Berson"
<Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

> At 1/30/2008 02:58 PM, Charles Doyle wrote:
>> And now that pregnancy (along with other devices for acquiring cute
>> children) is chic among Hollywood stars, the term "baby bump" has
>> become ubiquitous on tabloid TV.
>
> Is "baby bump" analogous to "baby boom", as in "boomer generation",
> or does it refer to a protruberance?
>
> Joel

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics and English Language
Arts B135
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN

phone: +44-(0)1273-678844