Classless

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 31 17:50:54 UTC 2008

At 10:48 AM -0500 1/31/08, David Donnell wrote:
>This stanza from John Lennon's song "Working Class Hero" is where I
>first heard the word "classless", as a 12 yr old in 1970:
>
>[...] A working class hero is something to be
>Keep you doped with religion and sex and tv
>And you think you're so clever and classless and free
>But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see [...]
>
>Also, btw, the opposite of "classy" or "having class", in my book,
>would be "unclassy".

Mebbe so, but "classless" wouldn't necessarily be the opposite of
"classy".  "Unlucky" (the opposite of "lucky") isn't quite the same
as "luckless" ('without luck').  "Uncharming" isn't quite the same as
"charmless".  I see no problem in the language including both
"unclassy" and "classless"--although granted the latter will remain
ambiguous, given the British sense exemplified in "a classless
society" or the Lennon line.  (In my mind I can hear him sing the
next line about "fookin peasants".)

LH