narrators (was "to boldly go")

Thu Jan 31 18:42:15 UTC 2008

I agree completely, and your analogues are I think right on the mark. This is
pretty much what I was saying in my last post concerning the positioning of
the narrator vis-a-vis the show itself. When the Stage Manager in Wilder's OUR
TOWN says, "Them that smokes can now go out and smoke" he is talking to the
audience, not to George and Emily (who are way too young to smoke).

In a message dated 1/30/08 10:50:05 PM, thnidu at GMAIL.COM writes:

> there's a difference between the situations of
> Spock and the voice-over narrator. The voice-over is in something of a
> borderland, speaking to us viewers on TV for whom Klingons (and Vulcans, and
> StarFleet) are fictions. In fact, it's a border in another way too: this is
> the introduction to the show. I'm thinking of analogues in Shakespeare: the
> Chorus's prologues to Henry V and to Romeo and Juliet, Rumor's to Henry IV
> Part 2, and at the other end Robin's (i.e., Puck's) Epilogue to Midsummer
> Night's Dream. (I had to look these up, with the aid of my daughter.)

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.