another item for Dennis B's Web of Language?

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Wed Jul 2 04:25:41 UTC 2008

Marc Velasco wrote:

> I tell ya.
>
> The other day, on an ADS list, people were talking about Spanish Grammar--of
> all things!

I believe there are several dialects of Spanish found in the US.
Unfortunately, the Dictionary of American Regional Spanish doesn't seem
to exist.  (Nor does the Dictionary of Latin American Regional English,
to the best of my knowledge.)

> On the other hand, here in South Florida, I think you could conduct an
> entire day's business in Spanish if you so chose.

You could probably also do that in South Minneapolis.

At my local Cub Supermarket, aisle signs are in English and Spanish.
There's an increasing number of prepared foods from Bimbo and other
Mexican companies.  (They seem to mostly be made in Texas, so this isn't
taking jobs away from American workers.)  I note that some of the bread
seems to be much like Wonder Bread and its competitors, though I haven't
done a taste test.

>> "And then you go into Lowe's," she continued, referring to the home
>> improvement store, "and it says 'Entrada.' And every utility bill you
>> got has got a foreign language on it."
>> [etc.]
>> -----

Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com <http://dsgood.livejournal.com/>
Futures http://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com
Mirror Journal http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
Mirror 2 http://dsgood.wordpress.com