Heard on The Judges: "exuded" = "told"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 3 17:54:30 UTC 2008

I think that he thought something like, "What can I pull out of my
passive lexicon of little- or never-used words in order to Amos-&-Andy
my way into giving the impression that I'm a gentleman of learning,
rather than the common street thug that I am?"

(Yes, I'm sure that you understood that and I do get the joke in your
comment. :-))

-Wilson

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:43 AM, LanDi Liu <strangeguitars at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       LanDi Liu <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Heard on The Judges: "exuded" = "told"
>
> So he really meant "She exuded to me (out of her ass) that she was a
> ex-stripper."
>
> Now that's what I call evocative language.
>
> Randy
>
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "She _exuded_ to me that she was a ex-stripper."
>>
>> I'm fairly certain that this is another nonce use pulled out of the
>> speaker's ass,
>> -Wilson
>> --
>> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
>> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>> -----
>>  -Sam'l Clemens

> --
> Randy Alexander