Dating of "Columbia" = America

Fri Jul 4 00:50:09 UTC 2008

There might be a dual origin here as Wikipedia gives Francisco de
Miranda as the person who conceived of using the name to refers to the
Americas.

-----http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Colombia
The name "Colombia" comes from the name of Christopher Columbus
(Cristóbal Colón in Spanish, Cristoforo Colombo in Italian) and was
conceived by the revolutionary Francisco de Miranda as a reference to
the New World, especially to all American territories and colonies
under Spanish and Portuguese rule.
-----
-----http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_de_Miranda
Miranda envisioned an independent empire consisting of all the
territories that had been under Spanish and Portuguese rule,
stretching from the Mississippi Riverto Cape Horn. This empire was to
be under the leadership of a hereditary emperor called the "Inca", in
honor of the great Indian Empire, and would have a bicameral
legislature. He conceived the name Colombia for this empire, after the
explorer Christopher Columbus.
-----
BB