Fwd: phonological features; was What's in a Name? The Black Panthers in Israel

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 4 18:22:25 UTC 2008

1) your(s) [yowr(z)]; you're [yuwr]

2) your(s) [yuwr(z)]; you're [yowr]

3) your(s) [yuwr(z); you're [yuwr] or your(s) [yowr(z)]; you're [yowr]

I *think* I use both.

If asked how to pronounce, I would say your [yowr] and you're [yowr]; but in
practice, I probably use [yuwr] often.

(Btw, I read [yuwr] as [yer], ... sounds like "get 'r done" and not like a
fast speaking version of "ewe were".)

You're going to hurt yourself:

[Yowr] going to hurt yourself.

[Yer] gonna hurt yourself.

And I imagine I'd pronounce the yourself as [yerself] in both cases.

But I've never thought about that before.