"hot dog" T.A. Dorgan story in St. Louis Post-Dispatch (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 4 19:46:15 UTC 2008

> In 1901, the name "hot dog" began to overtake "frankfurter,"
> "red hot," "dachshund," "frank" and "wiener."

Not quite, among the black Saint Louisans of my youth, for whom
"frankfurters" and "wienies" were distinct and a frank(furter)
sangwich was distinct from a hot dog, though a frank(furter) sangwich
was no more than a hot dog made with a frankfurter instead of a
wienie.

-Wilson

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: "hot dog" T.A. Dorgan story in St. Louis Post-Dispatch
>              (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> The Post Dispatch made the same mistake in 2006 ("HOT CORNER" St. Louis
> Post-Dispatch (MO) - July 30, 2006
> Author: DERRICK GOOLD, p. D7); likewise The Bangor ME Daily News ("This
> month, we celebrate the hot dog" Bangor Daily News (ME) - July 13, 2006
> TOM WEBER: p. B1); Portland Oregonian ("NEWS Q&A - I have always
> wondered how hot dogs got such an odd name" Oregonian, The (Portland,
> OR) - July 4, 2006 p. A01); Palm Springs Desert Sun ("The All-American
> dog - well, sort of" Desert Sun, The (Palm Springs, CA) - April 13, 2006
> Author: The Desert Sun, Staff p. P11); San Diego Union Tribune ("Babe
> not alone in his love of hot dogs" San Diego Union-Tribune, The (CA) -
> November 26, 2005 Author: Don Freeman p. E-9), and a bunch of other
> newspapers in Newsbank.
>
> Gerry, and others -- do you want an electronic copy of the 2004 article
> you mention below?

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens