"Best by..."

Sun Jul 6 15:05:20 UTC 2008

Why is this "idiotic"? It seems to me to be a totally understandable
telegraphic reduction of "Best [if used] by August 12[, ]2009."

(by the way, the brackets here are used in a perfectly normal way to indicate
NON-phonetic interpolations)

In a message dated 7/4/08 12:49:00 PM, wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM writes:

> I mentioned this a few years ago as an idiotic variant of "Best before..."
> stamped on grocery products.
>
> Now I've seen it again on Hunt's Snack Pack Pudding: "Best by Aug122009."
>
> JL

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.