"covered wagon", now 1727, and still not the American West

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jul 6 15:50:57 UTC 2008

Uh-oh.  Early American Newspapers yields "covered wagon" from 1727.

"Advices from Spain. ... We have an Account that the following
Ammunition for the Siege of Gibraltar is arrived at the camp of  St.
Roche, viz. ... 116 Covered Waggons ... ."

New-England Weekly Journal, April 24, 1727, page 3, col [1 and] 2.

There is also from 1734:

"Upper Rhine, July 10. The Garrison of Philipsburg are to march out
with all military Honours, six Pieces of Cannon, four Mortars, and
some covered Wagons to be conducted tomorrow to Mentz, whither the
Sick and wounded are likewise to be carried by Water."

Weekly Rehearsal [Boston], Sept. 9, 1734, page 2, col 1.

(At least these also are not the American West!)

Joel