FW: Dap (Dignity And Pride?); Fist Bump; Pound or Fist Pound

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 6 20:59:08 UTC 2008

"Dap" as a term for "well-dressed, sharply-dressed," an obvious clip
of "dapper," has been around since God only knows (cf. HDAS). "Jump
sharp, jump dap" = "get dressed up for an evening out," are likewise
two days older than water.

OTOH, the "dap" which is a "fist bump" is derived from a clip of
"bappin' 'n' dappin'," a term for the multitudinous manual moves and
gestures, among which was the "dap" or fist bump, that had replaced
the simple giving of skin by ca.1967, and which probably originated
among black GI's in Viet-Nam, it being the case that black 'Nam vets
were the first dudes that I personally saw bap and dap, as part of the
show put on at the First Watts Festival.

-Wilson

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: FW: Dap (Dignity And Pride?); Fist Bump; Pound or Fist Pound
>
> Safire's column today covers "fist bump" and "dap":
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/magazine/06wwln-safire-t.html
>
> "Prof. James Peterson of Bucknell, a hip-hop historian, says he thinks
> it is rooted in dapper, 'neat, fashionably smart.'"
>
> Any evidence for this?
>
> --Ben Zimmer
>
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at mst.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Barry Popik sent the message below to a few ads-l members, and with his permission I now forward it to the entire list.
>>
>> Gerald Cohen
>>
>> [From Barry Popik, Sun 6/8/2008]:
>> Ever since Obama "fist bumped" his wife on Tuesday, the terms "fist
>> bump," "pound," and "dap" have been in the news. There are some quite
>> funny YouTube videos, including a beer commercial. Perhaps Double
>> Tongued can research this.
>> "Dap" is in HDAS from 1972, but it's at least from 1971 (see the
>> excellent Stars & Stripes article from April 21, 1971). The word is
>> probably Vietnamese for "beautiful" and not from "dignity and pride,"
>> as Wikipedia would have you believe.
>> OED has "pound" from 1992.
>> My theory is that it all probably started (or was popularized) from
>> boxing. The boxers historically "touch gloves" and come out fighting.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_pound
>> A fist pound, (also fist bump and other names) is a type of friendly
>> gesture similar to a hand shake or a high five. It is performed by two
>> people tapping their fists lightly.
>>
>> A pound also can be known as a symbol of giving of respect. Fist
>> pounds can also be followed by various other hand and body gestures,
>> but are part of a dap greeting.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dap_greeting
>> Dap is a form of handshake that became popularized in the white
>> mainstream society in the 1960s originating among African Americans.
>> The term dap may have originated as an acronym for Dignity and Pride,
>> (or may have been backronymed) and was popularly used by African
>> American soldiers during the Vietnam War even though as a tradition it
>> has existed in the African-American community for centuries. Though it
>> can refer to many kinds of greeting involving hand contact, dap is
>> best known as a complicated routine of shakes, slaps, snaps, and other
>> contact that must be known completely by both parties involved,
>> otherwise, an awkward but friendly improvisation occurs as the
>> participants essentially mirror the jazz culture with creative forms
>> of ordering the various moves of the hands with snaps, slaps, mutual
>> knuckle bumps and finger waves (jazz hands). Some forms or other names
>> for these greetings include "slapping five," "Black Power Handshake,"
>> "high five," "Five on the Black Hand Side," and "the pound". It is
> [...]

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens