A million English words, or only 600,000? Either way, it's a language packed with more words than you'll ever need

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jul 9 12:43:39 UTC 2008

Dennis, please check your computation for the 1590s. 10,000 words per
year is about 27 per hour, so there was a neologism more frequently
than every 60 minutes.  You apparently computed words per hour, and
then multiplied by minutes per hour, giving a meaningless scale of
words X minutes / hours squared, when you wanted minutes / words.

For minutes per word, divide a year's minutes by 10,000: 365 X 24 X
60 / 10,000 = 52.56, or for the precision with which the 10,000 is
measured, 56 minutes per word.

And one could point out how much more linguistic the 1590s were by
dividing the times per word by the number of English speakers in the
two periods.

Joel