Antedating of Flea Market

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Wed Jul 9 15:52:48 UTC 2008

Sunday school teacher, reading Bible passage: "The man named Lot was warned
to take his wife and flee out of the city but his wife looked back and was
turned to salt."

Concerned four-year-old: "What happened to the flea?"
DAD

You know, I'm not even certain that such a thing as a flea circus
exists. I've heard of the flea circus all of my life, but I've never
seen one or met anybody else who's seen one. AFAIK, the entire concept
may be some kind of shaggy-dog story.

The first such story that I heard, when I was thirteen and, hence, the
first one that I ever went for, had the "punch" line: "All this bull
I'm shittin' you!" Oddly enough, I had long been familiar with the
term, but I had no idea what its referent was. And this was also the
first time that I ever heard the expression, "bullshit." Ten years
later, when I was in the Army, I heard my second shaggy-dog story,
which had a title, "The Sleevejob," but no kind of "punch" line - the
guy is killed, just at the point at which he's about to discover what
a sleevejob is - at all. Nevertheless, I again went for it. But, this
time, I was part of a group of chumps. So, it was funny, instead of
embarrassing. But, somehow, the second time, I finally flashed on the
fact that such tales as these were "shaggy-dog stories."

Maybe Google and / or Wikipedia will allow me to get at the truth of
the matter, WRT the flea circus.

-Wilson

> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> The tone of the article is such that it is difficult to say whether the
> author was pulling our legs.

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens