Serenity Prayer in Yale Alumni Magazine

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Jul 14 12:06:29 UTC 2008

Several of these women worked with children, so edifying fiction for young
readers, especially girls, might be a possible source, as a guess. Also maybe
women's suffrage literature. It might be interesting to know if the
first three
known quoters shared a church denomination. I agree that Niebuhr--whose
admirable contributions are not diminished by this question--as the
originator,
on current data, appears to be less than 50 percent likely, even if the most
plausible name so far mentioned. If the question stirs more interest in
Niebuhr, his daughter might take some comfort from that.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson