Roasteria

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 14 15:10:04 UTC 2008

At 10:35 AM -0400 7/14/08, Marc Velasco wrote:
>So is laundromat originally from the "o-matic" line?  laundry + automatic =
>laundromat(ic).

With influence from Horn and Hardart's Automats, perhaps.  I just
noticed they've been revived, but not under that name--there's one on
the gentrifying (McHattan) Lower East Side, complete with
reproductions of those old windows, although the slots don't take the
same collection of nickels as in the old days.

>  or, if verbs are your fancy, launder + automatic =
>laundromat(ic).
>
>I vaguely recall various constructions of "-o-matic" (google suggestions
>slice-o-matic, brush-o-matic, etc), which would suggest that laundromat is
>an abbreviation.
>
>..
>
>a question on pronunciation: is it gasetEria or gaseterIa (<-- capital "I")
>?

In LA in the late 60s it was definitely the former, at least for
those of us in the Anglo community, exactly as in "cafeteria".

But confusion might be incurred.  Thus "Carpeteria", with penultimate
stress on /i/, is a suburb of Santa Barbara.  But as you can see and
hear at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCsprx1ZEK0, the
ubiqitous homographic carpet store chain pronounced it with
antepenultimate stress, "cafeteria" style.

LH