"plenty enough" ?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 16 15:32:06 UTC 2008

I have it on my iTunes. So, I listened to it before I posted. However,
I was checking to be sure that "plenty enough" really did occur. (My
wife's reaction to "plenty enough" was the same as A's and, being that
the song is one of my wife's favorites, she claimed that, surely, did
such a linguistic asininity truly occur in the song, she would most
certainly have noticed it.) As a consequence of concentrating entirely
on "plenty enough,", I didn't really pay much attention to the
surrounding scenery. Not to mention that I'd been out boozing with one
of my brothers.

So, I yield the point, though both versions of the line feel correct.
I'd go listen to the song again, but I have laundry to fold.

-Wilson

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "plenty enough" ?
>
> At 2:07 AM -0400 7/16/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>My word, y'all! That isn't strange to me, at all! My mother uses it.
>>It even occurs in the '70's Country-rock hit, "Double Shot":
>>
>>"One night with her is _plenty enough_
>
> "One night a week is plenty enough"
> (if memory serves)
>
> LH
>
>>"It's a good thing for me
>>"They don't bottle that stuff"
>>
>>-Wilson
>>
>>On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM, sagehen <sagehen at westelcom.com> wrote:
>>>  ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>>-----------------------
>>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>>  Poster:       sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM>
>>>  Subject:      "plenty enough"  ?
>>>
>>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>  >From the column, "Corporate  Focus" by Robert Weissman, editor
>>>  /Multinational Monitor /:/
>>>  .."The group did not suggest any illegal activities  by the companies --
>>>  there are plenty enough legal tax avoidance strategies."
>>>  Odd to find this awkward redundancy in the work of an editor.
>>>  AM

>>>  The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>>>

>>--
>>All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
>>come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>>-----
>>  -Sam'l Clemens

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens