Not A Newbie, but Maybe Worth a Mention

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at BYU.EDU
Wed Jul 16 19:30:26 UTC 2008

>> > EDM comes in two flavors, the older standard without of, and the newer
> variant (which spread rapidly in the 20th century) with of.
>    -of EDM: too big a dog (cf. ordinary degree marking: a very big dog)
>    +of EDM: too big of a dog

Corpus data bears this out nicely. In the 100 million word TIME Corpus (1920s-2000s) (http://corpus.byu.edu/time), there was a fairly good decrease in -Of EDM in about the 1970s:

Years   Tokens  Tokens per million
----    ----            -----
1920s   65              8.5
1930s   88              7.0
1940s   122             7.9
1950s   140             8.3
1960s   135             8.4
1970s   80              5.9 **
1980s   70              6.2
1990s   65              6.7
2000s   36              5.6

In the 360 million word Corpus of American English (http://www.americancorpus.org), there is a big increase in +Of EDM (or, in other words, decrease in -Of EDM, continuing the trend from the TIME Corpus) during the past 15-20 years:

Years           +Of     -Of     % +Of
------          ----    ----    ----
1990-94 30      642     4.7%
1995-99 38      561     6.8%
2000-04 45      462     9.7%
2005-07 37      264     14.0%

What is really interesting (to me, at least) is the unbroken directionality of this shift. In other words, somehow in 2010-2015, we'll probably be using +Of EDM at about 20-30% (vs. -Of EDM), even though nobody is really aware of the difference (well, except for us linguists). Another nice example of the "invisible hand" at work in linguistic change.

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **