Who's diddling and how?

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 18 00:44:15 UTC 2008

>>A. "Omigod! They're Xing!"
>>B. "Omigod! He's Xing her!"
>>C. "Omigod! She's Xing him!"

>        While A and B seem in the abstract to be far more likely, I would
> think that C would become the exclamation of choice if the woman were
> well-known to the speaker and the man were not.

Would there be a difference in preference for B/C based on the viewer's
gender?  One might suppose that the viewer would identify with the actor of
the same-gender.  In such a case the viewer would construct a descriptive
sentence around the person (subject) with whom he/she most identifies.

 So female viewers would describe with C more often than B, while males
would choose B preferentially over B.

Has this been studied before with different (not as explicit) verbs?