"novel" (in the Britannica); PLUS "diary" = memoir

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 18 23:54:28 UTC 2008

What?! "_Copyright_ 1988" and not "_copyrighted_ 1988"? Now, I can die
happy. I've long feared that I would never again see the
un-hypercorrected form in casual writing in this life. Barukh ha-Shem!

-Wilson

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "novel" (in the Britannica); PLUS "diary" = memoir
>
> Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>> 2005 _The New Encyclopaedia Britannica_ I 278: Allen, Hervey....Allen
>> was w= ounded in World War I. The novel _Toward the Flame_ (1926) came
>> out of his = wartime experience.
>
> The passage, including the use of "novel", appears in the 15th edition
> as well; my set is copyright 1988.
>
> Jim Parish

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens