Sommelier (was to "maggie")

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Jul 21 16:44:02 UTC 2008

on 7/21/08 9:50 AM, Wilson Gray at hwgray at GMAIL.COM wrote:

> I've never heard this word pronounced in English, so I have no
> opinion. But, is it the case that being a wine writer and an oenophile
> makes a person also a sommelier?
>
> -Wilson
~~~~~~~~~
Apparently it has taken on these & other meanings.  To me, it has only meant
someone in charge of the wine who can inform about, recommend & serve it....
but it has been years since my living standard included being in places that
employed such folk.
[As for coffee, while fussy about the beans, roast, variety that I buy to
brew my own, I'm always simply annoyed by being asked to specify some style
of coffee in a joint that seems to have everything in the way of flavorings,
methods, additives & who-knows-what.  Usually their bare-bones coffee is
pretty poor stuff! ]
AM